Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sometimes, it's embarrassment that tends to be the most humbling thing.

The other day, I was with a friend of mine in a thrift store
desperately trying to switch tags on jewelry discreetly. The worker was standing right behind us, drilling holes into our backs with his eyes.

Sigh. Honestly, I mean, people give their stuff up for free, and this place sells it for money. It isn't that big of a deal if that person who donated it .. donates it to me, now is it.

Fine, it's slightly twisted, only because the money raised helps people in need. Ugh. At least you could give me a discount. I do service for my community on a regular basis dammit. I deserve this turquoise ring. ..I'm a hard working american.

Anyway, we were bent over this glass counter trying to gently take off these stupid stickers, sweating bullets. It was terrible. The worker behind us, slowly moved to the counter, bent over, and turned his face to take a good look at what we were doing.

This makes me laugh, I just put my hand in a quick, tight, sweaty fist to hide my stolen sticker as he said "Ladies, we're not switching price tags now are we?"

Shit.

My face went bright red, and my friend said we weren't casually, though secretly I knew she was just as guilty as I was. The weird thing is, this happens all the time. We switch tags on a regular basis-frankly, I'm not sure I know any young person who doesn't at thrift stores. We're used to playing guilt off casually. But look, the important thing is, that i learned a valuable lesson:

1. When talking to the manager, always ask him to re..figure the price on any item you're interested in when thrifting. Especially Jewelry.

fine. the real lesson is that embarrassment is humbling. the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment